Thursday 5 March 2015

Visual Arts and Animation - Steampunk Assignment

Another two-week homework assignment was set again; this time to design a Steampunk concept. From looking at a lot of images of the retro mash-up genre, there is a slight cheap feel to it. One reason for this could be that it's mainly a fan-made driven genre. Unlike strapping cogs on a gun and calling it Steampunk, I spent a lot of time trying to work out systems and machinery that would both be practical and useful.




Above is my research and inspiration images that helped me towards my final piece. There was also a wide variety on DeviantArt gallery that was useful in deciding what route to take between a character, vehicle or device/machine concept. Below are my designs ranging from a penny farthing train, a voltage powered musket and a steam powered body support rig.




I decided to go with my steam powered support rig in the end. I really liked the idea of switching the distinctive industrial revolution Steampunk work and have a western American character. In addition, I gave the character retro-futuristic inventions (a common theme in Steampunk) like a wireless Morse code communicator and a metal exo-suit giving the bounty hunter advanced support and strength.




Underneath is my final digital piece. I decided to try and use only three different brushes to get a blotchy tone and make an atmospheric feel to the heat of the sun on the great deserts of western America. Overall I spent ten hours on my final image. One of the main challenges to 2D art, in my opinion, is a consistent path of light to shade which I think I just got away with. On the other hand, I really enjoyed making the distant mirage on the horizon; mainly because I have never painted one before!



No comments:

Post a Comment