Wednesday 25 March 2015

Life Drawing - Session 19, 20 & 21

In our nineteenth life drawing session, we started off with the usual five minute sketches and then onto the longer poses with different techniques and also applying whatever we enjoyed the most. Recently I got back into using my watercolours and played around with water density and how much I removed from the brush when placing it onto the paper. Something I would always struggle with back in school was trying to make the different colours not bleed into one another. As I have a better understanding now of how to apply the paints, I can make broader strokes and place greater value where I would have been nervous to before.




For our twentieth session, we started by creating many one minute sketches. After this we had the opportunity to use any medium we liked. I decided on using compressed charcoal and bring out the harsh contrasts of lighting. Next we had to study foreshortening. I had known about rendering depth and distance for several years but did not know that that was the term given to the unusual angles. Furthermore, I really enjoyed pushing myself with this as we only had fifteen minutes on each piece.




In our very last life drawing session on the course, we could use any technique we wanted and play around with colour. At first I tried compressed charcoal again but did not quite get along with it as I thought I would. This was mainly due to the model having fair hair; making the harsh strokes stand out too much. Following this, I used three felt tips (red, orange and yellow) and also my fine liner pens that I thought came out well. I had planned on using an easel at some point for the final piece which we had to do foreshortening on. Unfortunately, I just used a board and table which made the proportions, from which the angle I was working at, come out wrong.




Below is one of my favourite pieces not only in the twenty-first session but out of almost every single one! We had about a quarter of an hour to sketch either the face, hands or feet of the model. I chose the hands as I really liked the angle and peacefulness in the light; making this composition. I placed the charcoal lightly across the page creating a light outline that I then put shading onto. If I could have spent a bit more time on it, I would have added some context in such as a solid black background. Overall life drawing has been an amazing part of the course that has both challenged me and given me experience for the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment