Tuesday 25 November 2014

Visual Design - Perspective Lighting: Tank Assignment

Last week's assignment was to create a tank concept and introduce perspective lighting on the vehicle. I started by looking into how tanks functioned and their basic properties. I also wanted to include historical reference to tanks of the First and Second World War. Below is my main inspiration and research images that guided me toward my final piece.




As I roughly sketched out the well-known rectangular shape of a tank, I saw several possibilities of concepts. For example a raise able turret design with a 360 degree view and a compact front-wheel drive 'race car' tank.




I decided on creating my 'Mammoth' concept piece for the final design. I looked at Nasa's Land Crawler-Transporter for inspiration on creating a mobile 'city' tank platform. The idea was that it was capable of housing an entire army and efficient at a range of various tasks like ore mining, surface-to-air transport launches and firing two, eight tonne shells (simultaneously) out of its forty meter long cannons; at a distance of thirty five miles!




I am quite happy with my final watercolour and ink image. Although I did not get to work digitally this time, I found that taking my time with traditional methods like a ruler was fun. I left my pencil sunlight guides on the image to show how I had to set up the shadow lines of the image as the angle makes the object backlit.

No comments:

Post a Comment