Wednesday 19 November 2014

Visual Design - Insectoid Character Assignment

A two-week homework assignment was set this time which was to design a insectoid character concept. Below is my reference/research images that helped me develop towards my final outcome. I was heavily influenced by the structure of the butterfly, an insect I have a fascination for as well as Ladybirds.





I then went on to see how I could manipulate several features of insects and shape them in to a human like figure form. I spent only several minutes on the designs below to get the general characteristics that I then went onto use for my final insectoid.




I noticed how several insects and bugs have a dome (elytra) on their back which acts as an outer shell that commonly the insects wings can fold up into. I really liked the idea of this incorporated in the body and I instantly then though of the 'Hunch Back of Notre Dame'...and so the Hunch Beetle of Notre Dame was born!




We also had to give the character a small bio. I decided as the setting was going to be in Paris, to create the insect into some sort of religious monk background. With the blueprint plan above I wanted to make a hood and henna-like tattoos on the insectoid to give the effect that it was a solemn creature and humble like in its stance as well.




Above is my final piece. I struggled many times with the values of the shading and point of lighting. After watching a tutorial with the group in a recent session, I was able to go over the composition in more detail and find a point in which I was happy with it. I really wanted to test myself again doing something I had never tried heavily before which was texturing mostly everything from my own photographs; and then mixing them with the blending mode in Photoshop to get the different elements into place.

No comments:

Post a Comment