Wednesday 4 February 2015

Life Drawing - Session 11, 12, 13 & 14

In our eleventh life drawing session and the first of the new term, we created a range of pieces from quick sketches to quarter of an hour works using charcoal. I tried to vary my flow by changing methods to several techniques like stippling and rough lining which was fun but exhausting!




For our twelfth session, we swapped using easels to working on a table and board. I found it rather difficult to put 'pen to paper' without having to lean forward and hurting my back in the process for a long period of time; to cover the A2 page. However, I managed to prop up the board a bit and felt I was more comfortable to working with it like that. I experimented with tone and blending a harsh background against the lightest areas on the model's skin which I thought went well.




Our thirteenth session consisted of the same processes as the week before but with more practise of mediums. Underneath, I have shown a few such as Compressed charcoal, Biro pen, Ink pen and a 4B pencil. I decided to try and bring out some of the backgrounds context to make the body's form stand out; instead of just placed on a blank canvas.




For the fourteenth session, we had one of the regular male models. Personally this was an advantage, as I was able to easily recall his body shape and outline, giving me more time to focus on shade and context; while studying new techniques. I was also able to get a portrait or two done which I have been practising on recently (I rather enjoy the complex symmetry). On the other hand, I have been surprisingly leaving out the feet of almost every model in every session's sketches. I have no idea why this is, as I have no problem with sketching them but maybe more recently sitting down, it's because I can not see them behind the board; anyway I chose a composition and included them in this week!



No comments:

Post a Comment