Wednesday 18 February 2015

Photoshop Session - Lava Tutorial

This session we learned how to create realistic lava with several techniques. Below is my digital palette in Photoshop where I played around with toning and placement. In addition, I watched some footage of lava movement, as its not a still object; to better understand how it flows. Our teacher showed us how to use Photoshop's effects to further manipulate a working layer which also allowed me to use the brush to paint with the applied effects.




We were then given in our session, an image of a rocky creature model to sculpt and paint over lava cracks and fissures around the form. Below is my finished piece that took about two hours. I added in some context and background to make the model feel more alive which I thought went quite well. Furthermore, I attempted to include one-point lighting as the models highlights are reflecting white light.




Overall I found this session was a helpful insight into constructing a natural element (molten rock) and its placement over shape. 

No comments:

Post a Comment