Friday 30 January 2015

Mudbox Introduction Session: T-Rex Model

Last week’s session was an introduction into using Autodesk Mudbox sculpting software. I was very excited to find out more about the software ZBrush and especially Mudbox for the freedom and creativity of modelling. Unlike Maya, another Autodesk product, Mudbox allows you to manipulate the object as if it was actual modelling clay. We experimented around with the sculpting tools on a simple cube and learned the basics of how mesh levels work with subdivisions to create more polygons; creating a smooth skin.




We were given the challenge to create our own T-Rex from a starting model prefabricated for use. Above is the second to last level subdivision of my Carnotaurus (a member of the T-Rex family and also one of my favourite Dinosaurs). Fortunately I knew the shape and structure from memory. However, I used some references from Google to tweak the final shapes as seen below.




We were also taught several painting tools and layers of the material. For this simple paint over, I have used a diffuse setting which creates a matt finish. Underneath is the final model and painted body. I really enjoyed making a camouflage like skin and toning the shape with the harsh contrast of yellow and black.




Another really useful tool we were told about was the mirror setting on the hierarchy tab. This simply simultaneously reflected what you do to the opposite side on the axis. This was really helpful when I made something like the horns or teeth as it is tricky to get the exact reflected symmetry for the features. 




Before I painted the second coat of skin colour (the black patterns), I made a new layer; this time selecting bump map. This technique is commonly replicated throughout the games industry and is a key part when texturing a detailed model. Any of the actual texture applied when using this, fools the light into making it look like it is a three dimensional form saving polygons and memory.




Above is one of the stencil tool textures I used which, when using a black brush, applies the detail to the model. As you can see I have used a scalely appearance which I thought worked well near the pale chin and head area.




In the pose tool bar I used the pivot settings to adjust the tail position and also the forearms of the Dinosaur. I also shrunk several features like the head which is prolifically shorter to the snout and the chest which is higher with the tail being longer (one of several characteristics that tells us this Dinosaur was built for speed, rather than brutishness like that of the T-Rex).




Above is the starting model before I did anything to it and below is the final side view of my Carnotaurus model.




We were also given an insight into using the turntable feature which creates a 360° render of the model. Below is my turntable video which I added a shallow depth of field too, to give it a more realistic composition. Overall I have really enjoyed learning the features of Mudbox and look forward to more of the freedom and creativity in modelling it offers.




No comments:

Post a Comment