Monday 19 January 2015

Maya Modelling Assignment - USS Enterprise

In the first week of the new term, we were given the assignment to create a model of the Starship Enterprise from the original TV Series of Star Trek. In company with this, we were given a technical drawing blueprint image to aid us in the modelling process; as seen below.




Above is a screen capture of the image imported into Maya and cut into formation of the axis of x,y,z. This was a great way of working fast and accurately depicting the model. Below is the first section I worked on using the smooth view on the hull. This allowed me to see the design with a clean face of curved surface. Furthermore, I shaped the vertices and edges while adding in multiple edge loops to shape the fuselage. 




We were taught by our lecturer how to use the Bezier Curve tool on more complex forms which came in handy for the modelling of the radar like dish on the front of the hull. This tool enabled me to create an outline of the top half of the dish in its curvature construct along the x axis. After aligning the move pivot tool to be parallel alongside the dish, I switched to the surfaces tool set and used the revolve feature to create the actual polygonal shape from 2D to 3D as seen below.




Below is the complete dish that I think worked out really well. I made sure to keep a low polygon count as this helps save memory and data space for other components later on.




In the shaded display view I used a feature called XRay which allowed me to see through the object to the blueprint image. I found this was very useful in reflecting on the precision of the model. Below is before I converted the shape of the hull using the smooth tool found in the mesh tab.




Underneath is the finished hull on the model using the smooth tool. I made sure to align the vertices with that of the blueprint and after using the harden edge tool on the faces, it gave that composition a great result.




Here is the recognisable 'flying saucer' bow of the Enterprise. I aimed at extruding the bridge deck on top as this is more ideal in practise when it comes to using a model element as one piece. One error that I made, when creating the plate shape, was not increasing the polygon circumference. The only drawback to this was I had to individually create each edge loop for the sections of rotation; after doing this I equally selected the side edges and distributed them in scale.




Using the front and side view for reference, I formed the rear of the ship with the spine columns leading to the raised engines. Similar to the hull, I made the elongated engines with the key '3' selected in the rounded mode and then used the smooth tool to create it into a basic polygon shape. Unfortunately the process of this is the creation of more edge loops which are then only removable by individually double-click selecting and deleting them.   




Below is final model using the blueprints for final checks. While in the process of modelling I fixed the three images to a locked layer, as so I did not accidentally move them out of position. I believe that small techniques like this one is essential in the long term modelling or with detailed concentration on a specific object and reference.




Finally I added, from the create tab, an area light with a low level intensity to bring out harsh contrast as often seen in space. I have also started studying and following tutorials on the plug-in Mental Ray which renders out the model to a crisp definition along with the lighting which will be really useful to learn for future work.




Here is another angle of the USS Enterprise with the area light illuminated in the '5' key lighting display mode. I am really pleased with how the model has come out and in the time I have produced it in. 



No comments:

Post a Comment