Tuesday 20 January 2015

Visual Arts & Animation - Anatomy: Muscle Assignment

Our first two-week assignment for the new term was to study the Human Anatomy. Continuing from the last analysis of the Human skeleton, this time we looked at the key muscles of the body. Below is my diagram listing the main muscles with a colour marker. While focusing on the main muscles of the average male, I highlighted more complex forms in the magnifier circles. In addition, I got the chance to use watercolours; as this is something I have had years of practise with and am comfortable to use.




Below is my second study focusing more on the muscle detail around the body that I found interesting or had not looked at before. For example, the coracobrachialis and the serratus anterior muscles located under the armpit. Furthermore, I briefly covered how certain muscles expand and contract like in the gastrocnemius (calf) and the brachioradialis (situated on the wrist).




I really enjoyed learning new muscle groups, like that of the face and think it has been a huge help in understanding the form of the human body even more. Below are the two links I used for reference in my study. One again being the amazing website called InnerBody which lets you understand the system of the muscles in an interesting and interactive diagram. The other is a book called Atlas of Human Anatomy for the Artist by Stephen Rogers Peck as suggested by our lecturer.


No comments:

Post a Comment