Wednesday 10 December 2014

Maya Session - Temple Modelling Challenge

For our last two sessions and final assignment of the term, we had to model an entire Temple on Maya using only a single image for reference with no help. I am very pleased with the process and although I did not get to finish all of the intricate details around the structure, I was able to round it off with texturing.




Above are basic blocks that I then built around. As the reference image was from a three quarter-view, I could see that the length was longer than the width and thus making it rectangular. I also used the cut-face tool alot more to roughly bring in the edges of boarders of doors and windows etc.




I then created the roof by placing a polygon pyramid over the top of the sections and extruding along, tweaking the height to match that of the images; I could then use this height measurement across all of the roof features.




When it came to creating the 'skirting board' like walls, I had several problems that led to even more and delayed my progress by several hours. At the beginning of making the model, I was fairly new on how to use the mirror cut and geometry tools and decided to experiment/learn.  However, I was not notified that once this has been started, several tool elements like the interactive split and edge loop would be deactivated; not allowing me to break up the shapes for things like the door and arch inset segments.




I was able to make do with finishing the skirting board' walls by piecing together several duplicated versions and using general symmetry to align it. Above is another interesting way I worked around height structure in the side panel view.




As I finished the basic building features I began texturing, breaking up the object faces in the UV Texture Editor and bringing in the texture image (given to us in the resources pack) and rotating/scaling them to fit in place.




Here are some of the textures up close, scaled to proportion and aligned with their opposite partners. I did not get to add in normals like soft and hard edge but this only stood out of shape on the pillars.




In the centre of the rectangular 'square' is a small tower block. This was one of the most detailed objects on the model and took the longest with all the wooden framing. Although it is not shown, the building block would be inaccessible without steps so I added some in for alternate angles.




Above is my complete model (with wire-frame on shaded displayed) taking around seven and a half hours. I think with even greater time management, hierarchy organisation and duplication designing, this will be reduced substantially.




Perhaps the most complicated task was making the canopy at the front of the building to be the right length and work in an architectural and constructional manner. I kept referring to the original image model, looking at sizes of other sections and managed to get it right. 




I also studied the back wall area as much as I could and decided to add in another door at the backs center. Furthermore, this would be conventional in an architecture's eyes; to then create the above view piece. Below is an ariel shot of the entire Temple. I added in a Directional Light in the Viewport 2.0 to create an evening like shadow over the surface which I really thought brought the model to life.



No comments:

Post a Comment